Chloride got its name from the silver chloride found all over the local mountains. Silver was first discovered by white miners in the 1860's. Silver Hill is named after the rich ore deposits in it. Besides silver, the miners found zinc, copper, lead, molybdenum, and turquoise. At one point, there were over 75 working mines and over 2,000 people living here. Businesses, such as hotels, a bank, a pool hall, barber shops, saloons, and restaurants thrived. A railroad spur connected Chloride to Kingman for ore and passenger transport. Several churches and a hospital served the residents' needs. The most productive mine, the Tennessee Mine, produced zinc and lead into the 1940s. When the mines closed, miners and their families left, leaving Chloride almost a ghost town. Today, some of the mines are privately owned, while others are controlled by the federal government.